24/7 Crisis Line:
Text size

What are Justice Services for children and youth? 

We have a variety of programs designed to meet the needs of youth in conflict with the law. These include:

  • The Youth Justice Committee Program (YJC)
  • Intensive Support and Supervision Program (ISSP)
  • The Youth Mental Health Court Worker Program (YMHCWP)
  • Supervised Access Program

The ISSP and YMHCWP Programs further help youth who have been diagnosed with a serious mental health issue, developmental delay, or both

What services can I access?

Youth Justice Committee

Who? Youth 12 to 17 years who have committed a minor, non-violent offense and are willing to take responsibility for their actions 

What? An alternative to the traditional court system through restorative justice. This committee brings together persons harmed, the young person(s) who caused the harm, and their families. With the help of a trained community facilitator, this group negotiates and creates a diversion agreement. This agreement outlines goals for the youth to deal with their offences and to make amends for their actions

Where? East Parry Sound and West Parry Sound

How can I get involved? The Police or the Crown’s office refer youth to this program

Intensive Support and Supervision Program

Who? Youth 12 to 17 years who are in conflict with the law and have been diagnosed with a serious mental health issue, developmental delay, or both

What? This is an alternative to custody for people in the youth justice system. It is a clinically focused, community-based treatment program 

Where? North Bay 

How can I get involved?  Referrals for this program come through the court process

Youth Mental Health Court Worker Program

Who? Youth 12 to 17 years involved in Youth Justice Court who show symptoms of a mental health concern or have a formal diagnosis or a developmental disability


We support the mental health needs of youth involved in the Criminal Justice System. This program provides 4 services: 

  • Consultation
  • Court Support
  • Mental Health Diversion
  • Bail/Sentencing Release Planning 

Consultation Services help youth address their developmental or mental health needs by linking youth and their family/friends to information, services, and referrals for mental health supports. Consultation can be a one-time service or on-going.  Youth can either have had police contact or be involved in the Criminal Justice System

Our Court Supports help youth by: 

  • Outlining the court process
  • Obtaining legal counsel
  • Making referrals and connections with community supports and services

Through Mental Health Diversion, we work with youth to create a diversion plan that will connect them to appropriate mental health supports. Our Bail/Sentence Release Planning service advocates for youth in the Criminal Justice System. We assist with interviewing family members for release planning and connect youth to appropriate community services

Where?  Youth who live in the Muskoka or Parry Sound Districts

How can I get involved? 

For the Consultation & Court Support services, youth can self-refer. Family, friends, community supports, or court staff can also refer to this program

For Mental Health Diversion or Bail Release Planning services, referrals must come from Crown Attorneys, Defense Counsel, Judges, or Police

Learn more by contacting us at 1-800-668-8555 ext. 3211 or youthjustice@handstfhn.ca

Supervised Access Program

Who?  Parents, children under 18

What? In some situations, such as when parents separate, contact time with children may be a problem. We provide a safe, neutral setting where visits and exchanges can take place 

Where? East Parry Sound, West Parry Sound 

How can I get involved? You can self-refer to this program. Lawyers, mediators, the courts, mental health professionals, and other agencies can also refer you

We prefer you to have a court order for supervised parenting time, but it is not a requirement. If you don’t have a court order, parents must have a signed written agreement between them

Learn more at 1-800-668-8555 ext. 2239

How can I get started?

Learn more about any of our justice services by contacting us.