What are Child Development Services?
Our services help infants, children, youth, and families by encouraging maternal, infant, and child health. We give children the best start in life by identifying support needs early. Our team also provides specialized services to help children diagnosed with a developmental disability, and their families. Our Child Development Services are available to families in the Districts of Muskoka and Parry Sound.
What services and supports can I access?
Great Beginnings programs support pregnant people and parents of young children ages 0-3 years. We offer opportunities for play, resource sharing, and parenting strategies. This service is available to families in the Muskoka and Parry Sound Districts.
We are currently offering many of our Great Beginnings services online. Our online supports include:
- Interactive groups: Our groups provide social connection and support for pregnant people and new parents. Groups are offered Tuesday mornings in Muskoka and Thursday afternoons in Parry Sound.
- Education sessions: Learn about topics of interest to pregnant people and new parents, delivered by community professionals. Sessions run each Tuesday at 1:00 pm.
- Virtual community kitchens. Learn about healthy eating, pre and post-natal nutrition, and more while trying out a nutritious recipe. Participants will receive a meal kit or food voucher and a link to a pre-recorded cooking demonstration.
- Closed Facebook groups to share information and resources.
- Special events throughout the year. View our calendar to see what’s coming up.
Developmental Services for Children
We work with children and youth under 18 years who have a developmental disability, parents/caregivers, and community support teams.
We can help by:
- Identifying a specific behaviour or skill to work on
- Reducing challenging behaviours
- Using the principles of Applied Behavioural Analysis to monitor and evaluate behaviour
- Creating an individualized behaviour intervention plan
- Helping caregivers learn new ways to support positive behaviour
- Providing service in flexible settings, including home, school, or the community
- Educating caregivers on topics related to children with developmental delays and behaviour
Infant and Child Development
Infant and Child Development services will make sure you are informed, supported, and connected to the help you need for your child.
We assess each child individually and create a targeted plan to support developmental progress. We coach parents and caregivers on how to embed developmentally supportive activities into daily routines. We also discuss how parent-child interactions can help optimize child development.